The Program Executive Office, Assembled Chemical Weapons Alternatives (PEO ACWA) is responsible for the safe and environmentally compliant destruction of the chemical weapons stockpiles stored at the U.S. Army Pueblo Chemical Depot in Colorado and the Blue Grass Army Depot in Kentucky. As a signatory to the Chemical Weapons Convention, the United States has destroyed nearly 90 percent of its original chemical weapons stockpile, which was successfully completed by the U.S. Army Chemical Materials Activity. PEO ACWA is responsible for destruction of the remaining 10 percent of the stockpile.
Learn more about the history of PEO ACWA.
The Pueblo Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant, or PCAPP, was designed to destroy 2,613 U.S. tons of the blister agent mustard stored in artillery projectiles and mortar rounds at the Pueblo Chemical Depot in Pueblo, Colorado. The pilot plant is using neutralization followed by biotreatment or an explosive destruction technology to safely destroy the munitions.
PCAPP entered pilot testing and began agent destruction operations on Sept. 7, 2016. Operations will be completed by Dec. 31, 2023.
The Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant, or BGCAPP, will destroy 523 U.S. tons of the nerve agents VX and GB (sarin) and blister agent mustard stored in rockets and projectiles at the Blue Grass Army Depot near Richmond, Kentucky. The pilot plant will use neutralization followed by supercritical water oxidation or an explosive destruction technology to safely destroy the munitions.
Operations are scheduled to begin in 2019 and will be completed by Dec. 31, 2023.