Main Plant Update:
- The main plant is using neutralization to destroy nerve agent munitions. Secondary waste from the process, known as hydrolysate, is being shipped to a licensed and permitted hazardous waste treatment, storage and disposal facility.
- The GB 8-inch projectile destruction campaign began in January 2020 and was completed in May 2020.
- The VX 155mm projectile destruction campaign began in January 2021 and was completed in May 2021.
- The first M55 rockets containing VX nerve agent were destroyed at the Blue Grass plant July 9.
- This Month:
- As of Oct. 22, more than 20% of the VX rockets have been destroyed.
- The first shipment of hydrolysate to Veolia Environmental Services near Port Arthur, Texas, was completed Oct. 8.
- Optimization of rocket-processing equipment.
- Continuation of processing.
Explosive Destruction Technology (EDT) Facility Update:
- The EDT facility at the Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant (BGCAPP) used a Static Detonation Chamber (SDC) to destroy the mustard agent munitions.
- The mustard-agent 155mm projectile campaign began in June 2019 and was completed in September 2021.
- The facility is now known as the SDC 1200. *See below for further information.
SDC 2000 Update:
- BGCAPP will use an additional SDC to destroy a portion of the nerve agent munitions, including full rocket overpacks and rocket components.
- This Month:
- Placement of steel frame for Monitoring House.
- Energized high-mast lighting.
- Placement of concrete pads for stand-by diesel generators and heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment.
*SDC 1200 Update:
- BGCAPP is converting the EDT into the SDC 1200 to destroy a portion of the nerve agent munitions, drained VX rocket warheads, now the mustard campaign is complete.
- This Month:
- Decontamination, cleaning and monitoring of SDC components.
- Placement of structural steel for off-gas treatment system enclosure building.
- Placement of process chilled water skid.
The next Kentucky Chemical Demilitarization Citizens’ Advisory Commission and Chemical Destruction Community Advisory Board meeting will be held:
Dec. 8, 2021, at 1:30 p.m. ET
The meeting format has not yet been determined. For information about the meeting, contact the Blue Grass Chemical Stockpile Outreach Office at (859) 626-8944 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
New to BGCAPP?
The Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant is a state-of-the-art facility safely destroying the chemical weapons stockpile in storage at the Blue Grass Army Depot near Richmond, Kentucky. The main plant is using neutralization to destroy the nerve agent stockpile. The decision was made to not use the supercritical water oxidation system to process hydrolysate, the product of the neutralization process. This secondary waste is shipped to a licensed and permitted hazardous waste treatment, storage and disposal facility. A Static Detonation Chamber (SDC) destroyed the mustard agent stockpile. This SDC, along with a larger SDC 2000, will augment the main plant by destroying drained rocket warheads and overpacked rockets. The safety of the workforce and the environment, as well as of the neighboring communities, is the project’s most important priority.