COVID-19 Pandemic Response
Progress continues at the Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant (BGCAPP) and includes workforce measures taken in accordance with the most up-to-date guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to prevent the potential spread of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.
The Program Executive Office, Assembled Chemical Weapons Alternatives’ message on the COVID-19 pandemic can be found here: https://www.peoacwa.army.mil/message-on-covid-19/
Explosive Destruction Technology (EDT) Facility Update:
- The EDT facility is using a Static Detonation Chamber (SDC) to destroy the mustard agent munitions.
- The first mustard-agent projectile was destroyed in the EDT June 7, 2019.
- This Month:
- Continuation of processing.
- Destruction of 47% of the 155mm mustard projectiles occurred Aug. 11.
Main Plant Update:
- The main plant is using neutralization followed by supercritical water oxidation (SCWO) to destroy nerve agent munitions.
- The last GB agent-filled 8-inch projectile was processed May 11. Personnel are now decontaminating rooms and equipment in anticipation of the next munitions destruction campaign.
- This Month:
- Installation of Rocket Warhead Containerization System equipment at the new training center.
- Installation of rocket-processing equipment within the plant.
- Placement of Cavity Access Machines for VX agent processing.
- Rebricking of Thermal Oxidizer units.
SDC 2000 Update:
- BGCAPP will use an additional SDC to destroy a portion of the nerve agent munitions, including full rocket overpacks and rocket components.
- This Month:
- Continuing site preparation and utility work.
- Placement of concrete roof for the Earth-Covered Magazine.
- Installation of rebar in preparation for main facility slab placement.
The next Kentucky Chemical Demilitarization Citizens’ Advisory Commission and Chemical Destruction Community Advisory Board meeting will be held:
Sept. 23, 2020, at 1:30 p.m. ET
This will be a virtual-only meeting. For information on how to join the meeting, contact the Blue Grass Chemical Stockpile Outreach Office at (859) 626-8944 or email@example.com.
New to BGCAPP?
The Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant is a state-of-the-art facility safely destroying the chemical weapons stockpile in storage at the Blue Grass Army Depot near Richmond, Kentucky. An Explosive Destruction Technology is destroying the mustard agent stockpile. The main plant is using neutralization followed by supercritical water oxidation to destroy the nerve agent stockpile. The safety of the workforce, as well as of the neighboring communities, is the project’s most important priority.