COVID-19 Pandemic Response
Progress continues at the Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant (BGCAPP) and includes workforce measures taken in accordance with the most up-to-date guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to prevent the potential spread of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.
The Program Executive Office, Assembled Chemical Weapons Alternatives’ message on the COVID-19 pandemic can be found here: https://www.peoacwa.army.mil/message-on-covid-19/
Explosive Destruction Technology (EDT) Facility Update:
- The EDT facility is using a Static Detonation Chamber (SDC) to destroy the mustard agent munitions.
- The first mustard-agent projectile was destroyed in the EDT June 7, 2019.
- This Month:
- Conducting of planned annual maintenance.
- Destruction of 37% of the 155mm mustard projectiles occurred May 10.
Main Plant Update:
- The main plant is using neutralization followed by supercritical water oxidation (SCWO) to destroy nerve agent munitions.
- The last GB agent-filled 8-inch projectile was processed May 11. Personnel are now decontaminating rooms and equipment in anticipation of the next munitions destruction campaign.
- This Month:
- Conclusion of GB 8-inch projectile destruction operations.
- Start of decontamination of the Munitions Washout System room and dismantling of the Cavity Access Machines and agent pumps to process through the Metal Parts Treaters.
- Preparation of rooms for installation of rocket-processing equipment.
SDC 2000 Update:
- BGCAPP will use an additional SDC to destroy a portion of the nerve agent munitions, including full rocket overpacks and rocket components.
- This Month:
- Continuing site preparation and utility work.
- Installation of Personnel Support Facility wall and roof panels completed and placement of concrete for the structure of the Earth-Covered Magazine.
PLEASE NOTE: The Kentucky Chemical Demilitarization Citizens’ Advisory Commission and Chemical Destruction Community Advisory Board meeting scheduled for June 10 has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held:
Sept. 23, 2020, at 1:30 p.m. ET
Carl D. Perkins Building, Rooms A and B
Eastern Kentucky University
New to BGCAPP?
The Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant is a state-of-the-art facility safely destroying the chemical weapons stockpile currently in storage at the Blue Grass Army Depot near Richmond, Kentucky. A Static Detonation Chamber is currently being used to destroy the mustard agent stockpile. The main plant will use neutralization followed by supercritical water oxidation to destroy the nerve agent stockpile. The safety of the workforce, as well as of the neighboring communities, is the project’s most important priority.