Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant
Start of Agent Operations Public Event Held May 29:
- Keynote address provided by U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell.
- Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin provided remarks.
- Senior government and industry leaders provided remarks.
Explosive Destruction Technology (EDT) Facility Update:
- Mustard-agent destruction operations are expected to start in June 2019, using the Static Detonation Chamber.
- Recent accomplishments and highlights:
- Integrated Operations Demonstrations completed May 20
- Bechtel Parsons Blue Grass anticipated to declare readiness in early June
- International treaty inspectors to arrive on site prior to start of operations
Main Plant Update:
- Systemization of the facility is underway and 81.2 percent complete. Systemization encompasses the planning, technical work, training and testing activities required to ensure that once destruction operations begin, the plant runs safely and smoothly.
- Nerve-agent destruction operations are expected to start in late 2019, using neutralization followed by supercritical water oxidation.
- Recent accomplishments:
- Metal Parts Treater (MPT) preparation for surrogate testing continues
- Completion of MPT surrogate testing anticipated mid-June
- Commissioning of supercritical water oxidation and reverse osmosis systems ongoing
Kentucky Chemical Demilitarization Citizens’ Advisory Commission and Chemical Destruction Community Advisory Board
June 12, 2019, at 1:30 p.m. EDT
Eastern Kentucky University
Carl D. Perkins Building, Rooms A and B
4440 Kit Carson Dr.
New to BGCAPP?
Blue Grass Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant is a state-of-the-art facility that will safely destroy the chemical weapons stockpile currently in storage at the Blue Grass Army Depot near Richmond, Kentucky. The main plant will use neutralization followed by supercritical water oxidation to destroy the nerve agent stockpile, and a Static Detonation Chamber to destroy the mustard agent stockpile. The safety of the workforce, as well as of the neighboring communities, is the project’s most important priority.